GUARDING FLOOR AND WALL OPENINGS
This presentation will focus on OSHA definitions of floor and wall openings, guarding requirements, lost time and fatality data from the BLS, fall hazards, and how you can prevent injury to yourself and your coworkers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics recently reported that workplace falls caused 255,750 nonfatal injuries and 767 deaths in a single year. More than 82% of those deaths are from falls to lower levels. In fact, falls are the second leading cause of general industry workplace deaths. The objectives of this course are to familiarize you with a variety of workplace floor and wall openings that may pose fall hazards, to train you recognize where guarding is necessary, and how you can be proactive in reporting and correcting unsafe conditions where they exist.
29 CFR 1910.23
- Training Objectives
- What is a Floor or Wall Opening?
- Protection for Floor Openings and Holes
- Protection for Wall Openings and Holes
- Protection for Open Sided Floors, Platforms, and Runways
- Stairway Railings and Guards
- Railing, Toe Boards, and Cover Specifications