facebook logo

After you have determined that you are required to keep records, the next step is to familiarize yourself with the required forms. OSHA forms include the 301 Injury and Illness Incident Report, 300 Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses, and the 300A Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses. The 301 Injury and Illness Incident Report, which is also referred to as the 301 Incident Report, is the first form that must be completed, detailing the injury and illness incident as specifically as possible. The 300 Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses is referred to as the 300 Log and is used to classify work-related injuries and illnesses. It also records the extent and severity of each case, including days of restricted work and days away. The 300A Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illness, referred to as the 300A Summary, is a form that summarizes the work-related injuries and illnesses that have been recorded in each category from the 300 Log.

Employers must keep these records separately for each establishment or worksite, provided the establishment is expected to be in operation for one year or longer. Note that your employees have the right to review your injury and illness records. Privacy cases must not list employee names.

Cases listed on the 300 Log are not necessarily eligible for workers’ compensation or other insurance benefits. Listing a case on the 300 Log does not mean that the employer or worker was at fault or that an OSHA standard was violated.

After determining what injuries and illnesses are work-related and the 301 Incident Report or equivalent has been completed, a company representative must complete the 300 Log entries.


Get more information about the OSHA Recordkeeping Course.